Completion of Language Course
On 18 June 2021 the Senate of the University of Lodz passed resolution No 206 stipulating the rules students should apply to learn modern foreign languages.
Pursuant to § 1 point 1 of the resolution graduates from first-cycle studies offered by the University of Lodz should demonstrate the language skills indispensable in the fields under study, in compliance with the requirements specified for level B2 in the Common European Framework of References for Languages,
Point 2 stipulates that “Graduates from the second-cycle studies as well as graduates from uniform master’s studies offered by the University of Lodz should demonstrate the language skills relative to the subject of study, corresponding with the requirements specified for B2 level in the Common European Framework of References for Languages.”
§ 3 of the resolution provides information about the obligation to take a placement test determining the level of knowledge of the foreign modern language chosen by the student. “…When a placement test scoring corresponds with the scoring reflecting B2 level for students of the first-cycle studies and uniform master’s studies, the student may decide not to take part in the compulsory university language course in that language and take the final foreign language examination.” If this is the case, after passing the final exam the student is obliged to choose a language course:
– at a higher level of the same foreign language,
– any other foreign language offered by the Foreign Language Centre (SJO) at the University of Lodz at any level and does not need to take an exam in this language.
§ 6 of the resolution specifies that:” Students who do not have Polish citizenship and study at the University of Lodz are not entitled to choose their native language or an official language in the country of their residence as the language of the university language course.”
Dean may exempt a foreign student from the compulsory language course if the student proves they can speak the Polish language at B2 level.”
To carry out the provisions of this resolution, we have prepared for you placement tests in five languages (English, German, French, Russian and Spanish). The tests are available at the university platform designed for distant learning (https://moodle.uni.lodz.pl) and entitled Test in … (language). To do the test, you should log in the platform and enroll in an appropriate course. You may log in from any computer connected to the Internet with any search engine. (Mozilla FireFox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrom)
After logging in the student should find an appropriate course in the list of courses, for example Test in English. Then you will be asked to give the course access code. The access code will be the same as the code for the BHP (Occupational Health and Safety) course (code is available from the Dean’s Office of each faculty). Importantly, as each faculty has a different code it is forbidden to apply a code from a different faculty!
EACH STUDENT MAY DO THE TEST IN ONE LANGUAGE ONLY!
IT IS FORBIDDEN TO ENROLL FOR THE TESTS IN A NUMBER OF LANGUAGES!
The tests are designed to diagnose language competences at A1, A2, B1, B2, B2+ levels. Each test comprises 20 multiple-choice questions with only one correct answer each. The time allowed to do one test is 10 minutes! You may take the test only once! The test should begin at level A1. After scoring more than 70% of the correct answers it will be possible to pass to another test at A2 level and then to B1, B2, B2+ . Thus, the test comprises 100 questions divided into 5 levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, B2+. This is a progressive test, which means that if you fail to gain minimum 70% (14 points) at a specific level, the next level “will not open”. If successive questions turn out to be too difficult, you should omit them and finish the test. When you finish the test or exceed its time limit, the scores are displayed and, depending on their number, the test at a higher level will be opened. The test scores are also available for Dean’s Offices at faculties and the Foreign Language Centre.
Attention! It is important that you do the test on your own and honestly as this will enable assessment of your language competencies and selecting a proper language course. The test can determine your language level objectively only when it is done independently and with no learning aids (dictionary, textbook and the like).
If your scoring classifies you as an A1 or A2 student, we recommend that you undertake appropriate steps to make up for any deficiencies. We suggest contacting the Foreign Language Centre (SJO) of the University of Lodz, where you can get professional advice you may need.
To become exempted from the compulsory language course after passing the final curriculum exam including elements of the specialist language for a specific university course at a minimum B2 level on the date determined by SJO and to obtain the right to choose this language at a higher level or another language at any level (including the starter level), the student should have at least 70% of correct answers at B2 or B2+ level.
If your test score entitles you to be exempted from the compulsory language course (B2, B2+), please, make sure that your decision is thoughtful in this respect as this does not exempt you from the final curriculum exam at B2 or B2+ level and such an exam includes elements of the specialist language for a specific course. Detailed information on the curriculum as well as on the basic and supplementary literature can be found in USOS system in the course description. We also recommend that you contact language teachers conducting the specific language course.
Attention! Based on a decision of the Didactic Board dated on 08 May 2014, since academic year 2014/2015 the placement test has been obligatory for all full-time and part-time students of first-cycle studies who commenced studies in the academic year 2016/2017. To enroll in any compulsory language course group it is required to do such a test first.
In case of any technical problems related to handling the platform, you should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
After doing the test, please fill in the relevant declaration:
– the language choice declaration (annex no.1). The declaration should be filled in by the students who do not want to be exempted from the compulsory language course and immediately delivered to the Dean’s Office of a relevant faculty. Based on this you will be allocated to specific language groups;
– declaration on taking the curriculum exam and selecting another foreign language (annex no.2). The Declaration should be filled in by the students who can be exempted from the compulsory language course following the placement test score and intend to apply to the Dean to be exempted from the compulsory language course and to take the curriculum exam before the language course starts (annex no.5). After obtaining the Dean’s consent, the completed declaration should be delivered to the secretary’s office of the Foreign Language Centre (SJO) by 17 January 2023. On that basis you will be given the date of the curriculum examination and you will be allocated to another foreign language course group;
– declaration on selecting another foreign language after obtaining credit for the compulsory language course on the basis of a certificate (annex no.3- optionally). The Declaration should be filled in by the students who intend to apply to the Dean to be exempted from the compulsory language course on the basis of an international certificate they hold (annex no.4) and also declare they want to attend another foreign language course at any level. After obtaining the Dean’s consent, the completed declaration should be delivered to the secretary’s office of the Foreign Language Centre (SJO) by 17 January 2023. On that basis you will be allocated to another foreign language course group.
Attention! Holders of international certificates (Annex to Resolution No. 206 of the Senate of the University of Lodz, dated 18 June 2021) are entitled to obtain credit for the compulsory modern foreign language course with no need to select another foreign language (an application to the Dean of Faculty should be submitted upon the consent of the Foreign Language Centre (SJO) – annex no.4).
Placement tests will be available on the University platform for distant learning between 3 November 2022 and 20 December 2022.
Documents to download:
- Cover letter 2022
- Annex no.1 – Declaration on selecting a foreign language
- Annex no.2 – Declaration of taking the curriculum exam and selecting another foreign language
- Annex no.3 – Declaration on selecting another foreign language after obtaining credit for the language course on the basis of a certificate
- Annex no.4 – Application for the exemption from the final examination in a modern foreign language
- Annex no.5 – Application for consent to take the final examination in a foreign language and to attend a foreign language course in another language